Skip to Main Content

(314) 314-5505

How Do I Get Child Support If I Don’t Know Where the Father Lives?

Sharing is caring:

If you are seeking child support in Missouri and do not know the father’s current whereabouts, here are some steps you can take:

  • File for child support services with the Missouri Family Support Division (FSD). You can apply online, by mail, or in person at your local FSD office. Provide as much information as you have about the father, including his name, date of birth, last known address, and employment information.
  • The FSD will attempt to locate the father through various databases and resources available to them, such as employment records, tax records, and state and federal locator services.
  • If the father is located within Missouri, the FSD will serve him with a notice to appear for a child support hearing. At the hearing, paternity may be established if not already done, and a child support order can be put in place.
  • If the father is located in another state, Missouri can request assistance from that state’s child support enforcement agency through the Interstate Family Support Act. The other state will then take steps to establish and enforce the child support order.
  • If the father cannot be located after diligent efforts, the FSD may recommend additional steps, such as publishing a notice in local newspapers or hiring a private investigator to assist in the search.

It’s important to note that even if the father’s location is unknown, you can still establish paternity and obtain a child support order. The order can then be enforced retroactively once the father is located.

At Raza Family Law Solutions, we practice family law effectively guiding clients through prenuptial and post nuptial agreements, dissolution of marriage, modifications of prior judgments, and resolving child custody disputes. We also help families take a different approach to divorce with mediation and collaborative work.  Contact us for a consultation at (314) 408-5957.

Sharing is caring: