Skip to Main Content

(314) 314-5505

How Do I Adjust Time Sharing to Accommodate New Circumstances in Missouri?

Sharing is caring:

Adjusting time sharing arrangements, such as those related to child custody or visitation, in Missouri typically involves modifying the existing court order through a legal process. Here are the general steps you can take to adjust time sharing to accommodate new circumstances in Missouri:

  • Assess the Situation: Identify the reasons why you need to adjust the time sharing arrangement. This could be due to changes in work schedules, relocation, changes in the child’s needs, or any other significant life changes.
  • Attempt Mediation (if applicable): Many courts require parents to attempt mediation before filing a motion to modify custody. This involves meeting with a neutral third-party mediator who can help you and the other parent reach a mutually acceptable agreement.
  • Prepare Necessary Documentation: Gather any documentation that supports your request for modification. This might include work schedules, school schedules, medical records, or any other relevant information.
  • File a Motion to Modify: If mediation is unsuccessful or not required, you’ll need to file a formal motion to modify the existing custody order with the court that issued the original order. You can obtain the necessary forms from the court clerk’s office or online through the Missouri Courts website.
  • Serve the Other Party: Once you’ve filed the motion, you’ll need to officially serve the other party (typically the other parent) with a copy of the motion and a summons. This can usually be done by certified mail, sheriff’s service, or process server.
  • Attend Court Hearings: After being served, the other party will have the opportunity to respond to your motion. The court may schedule a hearing where both parties can present their cases and any evidence supporting their positions.
  • Negotiate or Litigate: Depending on the circumstances and the response of the other party, you may be able to negotiate a modified agreement outside of court or proceed to a trial where a judge will make a decision.
  • Obtain a Modified Order: If the court approves your request for modification, they will issue a modified custody order reflecting the new time sharing arrangement.
  • Comply with the New Order: Once the modified order is issued, both parties are legally obligated to comply with its terms. Failure to do so can result in legal consequences.

It’s important to note that modifying custody arrangements can be complex, and it’s often beneficial to seek the guidance of a qualified family law attorney to help navigate the process effectively. Additionally, the specific requirements and procedures for modifying custody orders may vary depending on the jurisdiction within Missouri.

At Raza Family Law Solutions, we practice family law effectively guiding clients through prenuptial and post nuptial agreements, dissolution of marriage, modifications of prior judgments, and resolving child custody disputes. We also help families take a different approach to divorce with mediation and collaborative work.  Contact us for a consultation at (314) 408-5957.

Sharing is caring: