Ferguson Legal Separation Attorney
Get Help From a Top-Tier Ferguson Family Lawyer Today
At Raza Family Law Solutions, our Ferguson legal separation attorney is committed to providing top quality, solutions-focused guidance and support to clients. We are a full-service family law firm that helps people who prefer a legal separation find the answer that is best for their future. If you have any questions about a legal separation, we are here to help. Contact us today for a confidential consultation with an experienced Ferguson, MO legal separation lawyer.
What is Legal Separation?
Marriage is hard. It is not especially surprising that nearly half of all couples who tie the knot in the United States eventually opt to separate for each other. For most people, that means a traditional divorce. A divorce ends a marriage—and, to be clear, divorce is certainly an option in Missouri. That being said, it is not the only formal legal option for a married couple who wants to separate. An alternative called a legal separation is preferred by some couples.
In Missouri, a legal separation is a court-ordered arrangement whereby a married couple opts to live apart—all while still technically staying legally married. In effect, it provides a formal path for the orderly division of assets and handling of other family law matters (alimony, custody, etc.) while maintaining the marriage status. Unlike divorce, legal separation does not end the marriage. Couples may choose this for personal or religious reasons—or it could also be a step to a divorce.
How is Legal Separation Different from a Divorce in Missouri?
A legal separation in Ferguson shares some important commonalities with a traditional divorce. That being said, there are also some notable differences. Here are the two most important reasons why a legal separation is different than a divorce in Missouri:
- No Technical Legal Split: Legal separation does not technically end the marriage. Unlike divorce, where the marital relationship is legally terminated, legal separation allows couples to live separately while remaining married in the eyes of the law. Notably, this status could maintain certain legal benefits, like tax advantages and/or health insurance coverage.
- No Ability to Get Re-Married: Since legal separation does not dissolve the marriage, neither party can legally remarry. In contrast, a divorce finalizes the end of the marital union, granting both individuals the freedom to remarry if they choose. If you get a legal separation in Missouri, you are still married.
Legal Separation Still Shares Many Practical Commonalities With Divorce
As emphasized previously, a legal separation in Missouri does not officially end a marriage. If you opt for a legal separation in Ferguson, you and your spouse will still technically be married at the end of the process. However, there are still many practical similarities between legal separation and divorce. All of the following may be addressed as part of your legal separation in Ferguson:
- Formal Arrangement for Property Division: Both legal separation and divorce involve a formal division of property and debts. The court assesses and allocates assets and liabilities between the spouses. Missouri’s equitable distribution laws still apply in these cases.
- Child Custody and Child Support: In cases involving children, legal separation and divorce both require arrangements for custody and child support. The court determines child custody based on the best interests of the child, establishing a parenting plan that outlines custody and visitation schedules. Child support is also calculated and enforced.
- Spousal Support (Alimony): Both legal separation and divorce may involve spousal support arrangements. Indeed, a court in St. Louis County may order one spouse to provide financial support to the other during a period of legal separation.
Understanding the Two Main Reasons Why Couples Opt for Legal Separation Over Divorce
Why would a couple choose a legal separation instead of a divorce in Missouri? Broadly speaking, there are two main reasons that married couples prefer this option:
- Personal Preference: Some couples opt for legal separation due to personal, religious, or moral beliefs. They may simply not want a divorce. A legal separation provides a viable alternative that respects their values or religious doctrines. It allows them to live independently while still honoring their commitment to the institution of marriage.
- Trial Period: Legal separation can serve as a trial period for couples uncertain about the future of their relationship. It provides an opportunity to live apart and manage separate lives while leaving the door open for reconciliation. During this time, couples can attend counseling or take the time needed to work on personal issues. If the separation leads to a better understanding, they could opt to end the separation. Alternatively, a couple may recognize that separation is the right option and they could transition to a divorce.
Our Firm is Focused on Amicable, Cost-Effective Solutions
If you are considering opting for a legal separation instead of a traditional divorce, you undoubtedly do not want to get locked up in a high-conflict, difficult, or expensive legal dispute. At Raza Family Law Solutions, we are committed to helping clients find amicable solutions that work for their specific situation. We focus on collaboration. As strong advocates for open communication and mutual understanding, our Ferguson, MO legal separation attorney has the professional skills and legal experience that you can rely on for effective results.
Why Rely On Missouri Family Law Attorney Sophya Qureshi Raza
Are you considering a legal separation in Missouri? It is normal to have a lot of questions about your rights, your options, and the legal process. Our founding member Sophya Qureshi Raza is a top-tier Missouri family lawyer with the skills and legal expertise to handle all types of legal separation cases. We are proactive and solutions-driven. Among other things, our Ferguson legal separation attorney is prepared to:
- Hear what you have to say and answer your family law questions;
- Help you understand your rights and options for a legal separation;
- Advocate for your in any settlement discussions with your former partner; and
- Take whatever legal action is needed to help you get the best outcome.
Contact Our Ferguson Legal Separation Lawyer Today
At Raza Family Law Solutions, our Ferguson family law attorney has extensive experience helping clients navigate legal separation cases. Have questions about legal separation? We can help. Give us a phone call now or connect with us online to set up your confidential initial appointment. We provide family law services in Ferguson, St. Louis County, and all across the surrounding region.
We Are Here to Help