Skip to Main Content

(314) 314-5505

My Ex Won’t Abide by Custody Arrangement, What Do I Do in Missouri?

Sharing is caring:

If your ex-partner is not abiding by the custody arrangements in Missouri, you may want to consider the following steps:

  • Document the Violations: Keep detailed records of each instance where your ex fails to comply with the custody arrangement. Include dates, times, and a description of what happened.
  • Communication: Try to communicate with your ex about the issue and express your concerns. It’s possible that there is a misunderstanding or a valid reason for the deviations.
  • Mediation: If communication does not resolve the issue, you may consider mediation. A mediator can help both parties come to an agreement outside of court.
  • Consult with an Attorney: If informal methods do not work, it may be time to consult with an attorney. A family law attorney can provide advice on your specific situation and help you understand your legal rights and options.
  • File a Motion for Contempt or Family Access Motion: If your ex continues to violate the custody arrangement, you may need to file a motion for contempt or a Family Access Motion with the court. This involves notifying the court that the other party is not following the court order, and the court may then take action.
  • Modification of Custody Order: If the existing custody arrangement is consistently being violated and is no longer in the best interest of the child, you may consider filing a motion to modify the custody order. However, modification is typically only granted if there has been a substantial change in circumstances.
  • Law Enforcement: If the violations are severe and immediate action is necessary, you may contact the police. However, law enforcement may be limited in what they can do without a court order.

Remember, it’s important to seek advice from a qualified family law attorney who can provide guidance tailored to your specific situation. Family law varies, and the information provided here is not legal advice.

At Raza Family Law Solutions, we practice family law effectively guiding clients through prenuptial and post nuptial agreements, dissolution of marriage, modifications of prior judgments, and resolving child custody disputes. We also help families take a different approach to divorce with mediation and collaborative work.  Contact us for a consultation at (314) 314-5505.

Sharing is caring: