Skip to Main Content

(314) 314-5505

Can I Pay My Maintenance Directly To My Ex in Missouri?

Sharing is caring:

Here are a few key points about paying maintenance in Missouri:

  • The court order or divorce decree will specify if maintenance is owed, the amount, duration, and payment logistics.
  • It is generally not advisable to pay maintenance directly to your ex-spouse, as there would be no official record of the payments. This could lead to disputes down the road.
  • Payments can be made via income withholding order (taken out of the payer’s paycheck), online, by phone, or by mailing a check/money order to the state disbursement unit.
  • Direct payments between parties are not recommended, as they do not get officially recorded and credited by the court.

The reason courts prefer payments to go through the proper channels is to ensure a clear payment trail, enforcement if needed, and to prevent issues that could arise from informal direct payments between former spouses. While direct payments may seem easier, following the court order’s directives is important.

At Raza Family Law Solutions, we practice family law effectively guiding clients through prenuptial and post nuptial agreements, dissolution of marriage, modifications of prior judgments, and resolving child custody disputes. We also help families take a different approach to divorce with mediation and collaborative work.  Contact us for a consultation at (314) 408-5957.

Sharing is caring: