If you are contemplating divorce, there are concrete steps you can take before initiating a divorce to help lessen the turmoil of the divorce process.
The following advice is a guide for clients going through a divorce:
- Educate yourself on the divorce, child custody and property/debt division laws in your state.
- Create a current inventory of all of your financial assets (real estate, investments, household goods, vehicles, retirement plans, cash and other liquid assets) whether owned jointly or separately.
- Create a list of all current debt, including creditors and amounts.
- Consider meeting with a financial advisor, such as your accountant or financial planner.
- Create a file with copies of all relevant documents relating to your situation.
- Verify the contents of any safety deposit boxes.
- If you don’t have credit in your own name, obtain and begin using your own credit card.
- Select a qualified, experienced divorce lawyer.
- Consider mediation as an option.
- Decide when, where and how you will talk with your spouse about the decision to divorce.
This is great advice for anyone considering initiating a divorce and very helpful information that should be provided to your attorney.
At Raza Family Law Solutions, we practice family law effectively guiding clients through dissolution of marriage, modifications of prior judgments, and resolving child custody disputes. We also help families take a different approach to divorce with mediation and collaborative work. Contact us for a consultation at (314) 314-5505.