Skip to Main Content

(314) 314-5505

What to do if your ex is not complying with court orders.

Sharing is caring:

If your ex-spouse is not complying with court orders in Missouri, it’s important to take appropriate steps to address the situation. Here are some general steps you can consider:

  • Document Non-Compliance:
    • Keep detailed records of instances where your ex-spouse is not complying with court orders. Document dates, times, and specific details of the violations.
  • Consult with Your Attorney:
    • Reach out to your family law attorney and inform them of the situation. Share the documented evidence of non-compliance and discuss potential legal actions.
  • File a Motion for Contempt:
    • Your attorney can help you file a Motion for Contempt with the court. This legal action informs the court that your ex-spouse is not complying with the court orders. The court may then schedule a hearing to address the alleged contempt.
  • Attend the Contempt Hearing:
    • If a contempt hearing is scheduled, attend with your attorney. Present your evidence of non-compliance, and let the court decide on appropriate consequences or remedies.
  • Seek Modification:
    • If the non-compliance is due to a change in circumstances (e.g., financial changes, custody issues), you may consider seeking a modification of the court orders. Consult with your attorney to determine if modification is appropriate in your case.
  • Request Enforcement of Orders:
    • In addition to contempt proceedings, you may ask the court to enforce its orders. This may involve penalties, such as fines or other remedies, to encourage compliance.
  • Report to the Court Clerk:
    • If your ex-spouse’s non-compliance is related to financial matters, you may report the issue to the court clerk. The court clerk can provide information on procedures for addressing financial non-compliance.
  • Consider Mediation:
    • In some cases, mediation can be a helpful alternative to litigation. A neutral third party can assist in facilitating communication and finding solutions to issues of non-compliance.
  • Involve Law Enforcement:
    • In extreme cases, where there is a risk of harm or immediate danger, you may involve law enforcement. However, this should be done cautiously and in consultation with your attorney.

Remember that each case is unique, and the appropriate steps may vary depending on the specific circumstances. Consult with your attorney to determine the best course of action based on the details of your situation. They can guide you through the legal process and advocate on your behalf in court.

At Raza Family Law Solutions, we practice family law effectively guiding clients through prenuptial and post nuptial agreements, dissolution of marriage, modifications of prior judgments, and resolving child custody disputes. We also help families take a different approach to divorce with mediation and collaborative work.  Contact us for a consultation at (314) 314-5505.

Sharing is caring: