Skip to Main Content

(314) 314-5505

What Papers do I Need to File to Begin Divorce Proceedings?

Sharing is caring:

To begin divorce proceedings in Missouri, you typically need to file the following documents with the circuit court in the county where either you or your spouse resides:

  • Petition for Dissolution of Marriage: This document initiates the divorce process. It includes basic information about you, your spouse, your marriage, and the grounds for divorce (such as irretrievable breakdown of the marriage).
  • Case Information Sheet: This form provides the court with essential details about you, your spouse, and your case.
  • Parenting Plan (if you have minor children): This document outlines the proposed legal and physical custody arrangements, visitation schedules, and other important decisions related to the children.
  • Financial Statement: This form discloses your income, expenses, assets, and liabilities to help determine issues like child support, spousal maintenance, and property division.
  • Certificate of Entry of Decree of Dissolution of Marriage: This document is used to record the final divorce decree once it is granted.

You may also need to file additional forms depending on your specific circumstances, such as:

  • Request for Family Court Services (if seeking custody evaluation or mediation)
  • Proof of Income and Assets (pay stubs, tax returns, etc.)
  • Summons (if your spouse needs to be formally served with the divorce papers)

It’s advisable to consult with a local divorce attorney or review the requirements on the Missouri Courts website ( to ensure you have all the necessary documents and information for your particular case.

At Raza Family Law Solutions, we practice family law effectively guiding clients through prenuptial and post nuptial agreements, dissolution of marriage, modifications of prior judgments, and resolving child custody disputes. We also help families take a different approach to divorce with mediation and collaborative work.  Contact us for a consultation at (314) 408-5957.

Sharing is caring: